The 157th Infantry Brigade plans, synchronizes and executes pre-deployment training and validation in support of mobilized Reserve Component units in accordance with Combatant Commander, Department of the Army, FORSCOM, and First Army directives. On order, provides pre-mobilization training assistance for RC units within capabilities.
Colonel Todd M. Zollinger
157th Infantry Brigade
CSM Ernest D. Bowen, Jr.
Brigade Command Sergeant Major
157th Infantry Brigade
World War 1: Meuse-Argonne
World War 2: Normandy, Northern France, Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace, Central EuropeFrench Croix de Guerre with Palm, World War II, Streamer embroidered PARROY FOREST
French Croix de Guerre with Palm, World War II, Streamer embroidered NORMANDY TO PARIS
French Croix de Guerre, World War II, FourragereThe 79th Division "Liberty" Division; also known as the "Lorraine" Division, was a National Army division established 5 Aug 17 by the War Department to be formed at Camp Meade, Maryland. The Division was commanded by Maj. Gen. Joseph E. Kuhn. Draftees were from Pennsylvania and Maryland. Movement overseas commenced on 6 July 1918 and was completed by 3 August 1918. Primary units included the 157th Infantry Brigade, consisting of the 313th Infantry Regiment, 314th Infantry Regiment, and 311th Machine Gun Battalion. The 157th Infantry Brigade was commanded by Brig. Gen. William J. Nicholson. One of the Army's most expert cavalry officers, he was seldom seen off his horse at Camp Meade.
Shrouded in secrecy, the Brigade left from Hoboken, New Jersey in July 1918 on the SS Leviathan, a speedy ex-German liner that arrived at Brest, France the morning of July 15 1918. They trained for two months at Champ Little behind the French lines. On September 26, 1918 they "went over the top" in the Meuse-Argonne offensive. In a period of heartbreaking losses, the men struggled through nine kilometers of barbed wire and pot-marked earth. They destroyed German defenses that were said to be impregnable. That night they were on the outskirts of Montfaucon, headquarters of the enemy command. The 313th fought until the end, November 11, 1918. Gen. John J. Pershing commended the men of the 79th Division, and especially the 313th Infantry Regiment whose forces penetrated deeper into enemy territory then any other outfit.
Until 1963 the 157th Infantry Brigade (Mechanized) was headquartered in Chester, Pennsylvania. From 1963-1968, the 157th was based in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania. The Brigade was restationed to Horsham, Pennsylvania until its inactivation in 1995.
Withdrawn 24 October, 1997 from the Army Reserve and alloted to the Regular Army; Headquarters concurrently activated at Fort Jackson, South Carolina.
Inactivated 16 October, 1999 at Fort Jackson, South Carolina.
Activated 1 December, 2006 at Fort Jackson, South Carolina.
- Staff Duty (24 x 7)
7th Street N. BLDG 414/415
Camp Atterbury, IN. 46124